So I've been trying to memorize two verses a month, but I have to confess that I have not been doing well at working on them lately. I could blame work, fatigue, illness, and bad choices, but the honest answer is that I've been selfish and have chosen all the things I think I want rather than choosing God. Thankfully, I know that "if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).
So here are my verses - some I know by heart, others I still need to look up. I need to choose to work on these every day, even with the wedding coming up in a month and the honeymoon and such. I choose Christ!
1. "God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should change His mind. Does He speak and not act? Does He promise and not fulfill?" ~Numbers 23:19
2. "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us and will deliver us from your hand, o king. But even if He does not, we want you know, o king, that we will not worship your gods nor serve the image of gold you have set up." ~Daniel 3:17-18
3. "See, I am doing a new thing! Even now it springs up, do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." ~Isaiah 43:19
4. "In your anger, do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent." ~Psalm 4:4
5. "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who gave them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand." ~John 10:27-29
6. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." ~Philippians 4:6
7. "May the God of all hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." ~Romans 15:13
8. "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." ~1 Peter 5:6-7
9. "I am the vine, and you are the branches. If you remain and me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." ~John 15:5
10. "Everyone should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." ~1 Peter 4:10
I choose to learn these. Oh Lord, help me to be self-disciplined and to choose you. Run these verses through my heart and head constantly, Father. Help me to not just memorize them for the sake of memorizing them, but let them work in me to do your good will.